Thursday 22 May 2008

topsy turvy lemon meringue

Is there a culinary version of Stockholm syndrome? I've noticed that people in the dining room, whilst piling their plate with food and eating it all, say, 'no, I don't really like this food.'
Last night I piled my plate with tortellini with bacon and tomato sauce (doesn't tortellini have some kind of filling?) and ate it all. S was astounded and worried for my well being. It came with salad which was actually okay. Iceberg lettuce, but hey nice to see some greenery.
Dessert was called Lemon Meringue Pie but looked like no LMP I've ever had the pleasure of eating. It had a thin layer of what looked and tasted like lemon curd on top, then cream, then meringue, then more cream, then a kind of soggy sponge. How bizarre! The others got me to taste it first (as resident food critic & all around fussy bum) and then when I didn't fall to the ground, they decided it was safe.

No comments: