Saturday 20 June 2015

Watch your back Tim!

 I find it fascinating that Westralia (as my brother calls it) has produced so many interesting authors. I was always a fan of Elizabeth Jolley (until I found out about here grasscutting) and I'm not the only one in this family interested in Tim Winton. Jack loved his story The Bugalugs Bum Thief and I love Cloudstreet though the ending of The Riders made me cranky. We are both looking forward to a puppet version of his story about a groper called Blueback.
I like to read for location or more precisely when I am in that location so I have been reading and re-reading books with a Westralian feel. I re-read The Shark Net by Robert Drewe. I love this book so much. A memoir that works well with Cloudstreet as they both involve the story of murders in Perth in the 1950's and 60's. I also read Lost and Found by Brooke Davis which was a cute and quirky and downright odd and I started reading Peter Whish-Wilson's book on Perth that comes from a series of biographies of Australian cities by Australian authors which are fantastic. 
When we moved here I noticed that Subiaco library had a Tim Winton writing competition for kids and so I urged Jack to enter. He delivered his story to me at the eleventh hour (still not sure if it got there in time) and I took a very quick photo. I'm not sure if it will win, but then again maybe a story about the 3 little poos might amuse the author of The Bugalugs Bum Thief.



No comments: