Thursday 24 February 2011

Pancake day!

Every year I seem to remember Pancake day the day after. Which is sad. I still remember my mum cooking pancakes that we ate hot with lemon and sugar. This year I remembered a week early and decided that pancakes or at least pikelets should be on the menu. We arranged that I would bring gingerbread pikelets with caramel sauce to work and Amy brought along buttermilk and gluten free ones with blueberries and coconut cream. In the lead up I thought I should practise so I made some apple and cinnamon pancakes, adapting a recipe from Belinda Jeffery's new cookbook, the Country Cookbook, which is marvellous like all of her books. I have had trouble with pancakes/pikelets before being too rubbery but these were fluffy and delicious, especially when hot from the pan.
I know pancake day has come and gone but any day can be pikelet day!

Belinda Jeffery's Blueberry Pikelets
Ingredients
1 Cup SR flour
1/2 tsp bicarb
1/4 tsp salt
2 T caster sugar
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
20g unsalted butter melted and cooled plus extra for cooking
1/2 tsp vanilla extract or essence
2/3 cup blueberries fresh or frozen - I replaced this with a grated apple and some cinnamon. You could also use grated pear or whatever takes your fancy.
Tip flour, bicarb, sugar and salt into a medium sized bowl and whisk for 40seconds so they are well mixed.
In a separate bowl or jug, whisk the egg with the buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in liquid ingredients. Whisk into a smoothish batter. Leave to sit for a few minutes then stir in berries or fruit.
Heat a large non stick frying pan over low heat. Melt some butter in the pan and then spread with paper towel.
Drop dessert spoonfuls of mixture into the pan. Cook them gently for about 3 minutes or until bubbles appear on top surface. Flip over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
When cooked place on a plate and cover with foil until ready to eat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm making pancakes with the remaining buttermilk this very morning! It's breakfast for me and Andrew but breakfast dessert for all the kids who didn't sleep in :)

Amy said...

Ha ha! Now I know what Jossie was doing while I slept in. My computer isn't my own....