Wednesday 25 November 2015

Crabb, Sales and Helen Garnerbread

I've always been a bit of a fan of Annabel Crabb. I've really enjoyed her series Kitchen Cabinet and am addicted to the podcast she does with Leigh Sales. I adore it's funny tone, the way they tease one another and talk about books and baking.
Like any crazy person I was convinced that we would all get along swimmingly and could chat and chat and chat about our shared interests. When I saw Annabel was coming to Perth I decided that I had to go. And then I thought about taking a gift. I like to put a lot of thought into the gifts I give people. Annabel and Leigh talk about the lovely gifts they receive from listeners and so one night as I tried to get to sleep I started thinking about how Annabel and Leigh love Helen Garner and maybe I should make a gingerbread Helen.
Not all ideas that come to me at this time of night are winners but I thought I would have a crack and set about making the gingerbread then icing it with fondant. I put a little Stone in Helen's hand as a nod to her book the First Stone. 
I wrapped up one for Leigh (in bubblewrap) and one for Annabel  in cellophane and caught the train in to Perth for the lunch. Annabel was going from table to table during the meal and I was able to catch her eye and hand over the Helens. Her reaction was better than I expected and I was so chuffed. I had a pretty crap view during her talk and I didn't care.
My view - Annabel was behind the column
The next morning I got a message from my friend Sonya and immediately looked at Twitter where Annabel was talking about the garnerbread. So I replied and then Leigh joined in and S and Jack and Sam were asking me about breakfast and lunch and showers and I was thinking Ahhhh! and be quiet I'm trying to tweet!
It was very exciting. Lovely to meet someone who I thought was wonderful and find out that they actually are.


No comments: