Sunday 20 March 2011

cake!

I made a whole lot of cakes last week. One for daycare, one for preschool and one for Jack's birthday party. Initially Jack wanted a Peppa Pig cake, then it changed to a Lightning MacQueen cake then a Buzz Lightyear cake. I was worried. Thank goodness for ebay. While S was away for work I found myself looking at things called edible cake toppers at midnight. I ordered a Toy Story one and some smaller ones for cupcakes then crossed my fingers that they would arrive in time.
For daycare I made a Cars cake, but I cheated and used small cars to re-enact a race scene from the movie. And cacti made out of white chocolate I tinted green.


For preschool the cake toppers still hadn't arrived (starting to feel nervous) so I made a Fire Engine Cake from the new AWW birthday cake cookbook. It was a big hit though next time I need to put 25 oreo wheels on so every kid gets one. No one seemed to have any food colouring sensitivities which was lucky as there was another birthday cake that day and it was bright green.
That night Diane made a tennis racquet cake for Jack. We were very impressed with her use of a Terry chocolate orange as the ball. Jack stated that he had eaten enough cake and didn't want any. There was a shocked pause until Jack rallied and decided he could fit some in after all.


The edible cake topper turned up the next day so on the day of Jack's party all I had to do was pop it on top of the icing. It looked pretty fab especially with the purple icing (Jack's fav colour).


All the kids clamoured for a bit of Buzz or Woody and it was a big hit. That night though I heard Jack having a little cry. He was sad because we had eaten Buzz and Woody. I told him that I had saved him some of Woody and Buzz for the next day and strangely this made him feel better.

No comments: